Wednesday 29 July 2009


Stealing a Day!

With grim weather up North, it was worth staying South after the Game Fair for an extra day. Fellow AAPGAI instructor Jim Williams treated me to a session on the intimate Gloucestershire Coln. Flowing clear this stunning little limestone stream allowed us to observe both trout and grayling going about their daily business. Of course, I was naturally drawn to some impressive grayling holding in the numerous small pockets dotted throughout this stretch. With little in the way of a hatch (not that I'd expect one during the midday heat of July), nymphing was the order of the day. Presented with care, most fish couldn't resist a size 14 shrimp. However, the larger specimens definitely had a liking for a size 16 beaded biot nymph. With some plump grayling under my belt the long haul home was far more bearable. I can strongly recommend the Coln and anyone interested in a days tuition & guiding can contact Jim

Paul ~